Idli upma is a very simple and delicious dish made with leftover idlis. Any upma is my favorite, but this is one easy and unique upma made from the leftover idlies . There must be a lot of variants in this idli upma, but this is the way I like… Today we will learn how to make idli upma following this easy recipe with leftover idlys.
2 onions (finely chopped)
1/2 spoon red chilli powder & 1/4 spoon tumeric powder
6-7 curry leaves
1 tbsp of oil
1 tbsp of channa dal / kadala paruppu
1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
Salt of to taste
1-2 green chilli
1.Crumble the idlis fine. Actually you can decide how fine or chunky you want it to be, amma does it quite fine. It also helps if the idlis are a bit cold, crumbles easier.
2. Keep your GREEN chillies, curry leaves and onions ready
3. Heat oil and add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the channa dal.
4. Fry until they turn golden brown – about a minute. This gives out a nice flavour to the idli upma.
5. Add green chillies and onion. Fry until the onions turn a golden brown. Throw in the curry leaves, dry red chilli powder & tumeric powder and salt. Be careful with the salt, since the idlis are already salted. Mix well
6. Add the crumbled idlis… Add littlie water .. and mix well to combine everything. Keep flame at medium-low at all times, or the idlis will start to fry. We need to maintain its softness at all times.
7. Serve hot and I personally love to have any upma with a cup of coffee