Rava Upma is one of the most common breakfasts in India and its a traditional South Indian breakfast dish based on rava (semolina or suji). I love eating upma with a cup of good coffee. This is the way it was made at home all through my childhood and the way I make it now. You can also make it healthier by adding a lot of boiled veggies like carrots, beans, potatoes, tomatoes and peas along with the semolina when cooking.. Its really a beautiful breakfast option for the entire family. I love to have my Rava Upma with a cup of coffee anytime during the day. But usually, its made in breakfast and served with Ghee/Sugar/Banana etc. Presenting below my take on Rava Upma. It’s simple but delightful. Do try for sure…
1 cup – Semolina or Sooji/Suji/Rava
2 tsp – Clarified butter or Ghee
1 tsp – Mustard seeds
1 tsp – cumin seeds
5-6 Fresh curry leaves
2 Green chilies
6 to 8 – Cashew nuts ( Kaju)
1 medium size – Onion peeled and finely chopped
1/4th cup – Fresh or frozen green peas
2 and 1/4th cups – Water
Salt- As per taste
1) Put semolina ( Rava or Sooji) in a heated pan on medium flame. Roast, stirring occasionally until fragrant (about 7-8 minutes).
Take out semolina and keep aside.
2) Take a pan add oil allow it too heat then add the tempering ingredients – mustard seeds, cumin seeds. If you wish you may also add spilt urad dal.
3) When mustard seeds sputter, Now add cashews. Give it a good stir and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
4) Add chopped onions curry leaves and green chilies.Cook for 2 minutes, then add peas stirring constantly.
5) Add water and salt, bring it to boil. Check for salt. Add the roasted rava in a sprinkled way as well as stirring side by side.
6) Will splutter a lot so be careful with it. Mix well, it will soon become thick absorbing water.Cook covered bringing the flame to low.
6)After 2 minutes remove the lid and give a quick stir to the mixture and switch off the flame.
7) Serve hot upma with chutney or sugar…
1) Don’t over-roast the semolina or it won’t cook well.
2) You can add finely chopped ginger, carrots, other vegetables available along with onions to make it more healthier…