A snack with almost iconic status in the western region of India, bhel puri, also recognized as bhelpuri, is a low-fat, nutritious and delicious food. It is a chaat, which is a spicy food that is typically sold via street carts throughout the region. The puffed rice mixed with fresh chopped veggies, spices and chutney is a common favourite among street food fanatics. Use this recipe to make some for yourself. bhel puri is my all time favourite chaat accompanied with tea or evening snacks..Its healthy as well easy to make snack..kids love it
Puffed rice (kurmura/murmur) 2 cups
Sev 1/2 cup
Pomegranate 1/4 cup
Onion 1 medium & grated carrot 1/4 cup
Green chillies 2-3
Salt to taste
Green chutney 1/4 cup
Tamarind chutney 1/2 cup
Garlic and red chilli chutney 2 tablespoons
Lemon juice 1 teaspoon
Fresh coriander leaves bunch 1/4
- In a large mixing bowl, take 2 cups of crispy puffed rice
- Now add finely chopped onions , grated carrot and pomegranate . reserve some for garnishing.
- Also add chilli powder, green chutney, tamarind chutney and salt to taste.
- Add ¼ cup sev and give a good mix.
- Finally add some more mixture, coriander leaf and lemon juice. give a final mix.
- Garnish with some finely chopped onion, grated carrot , sev, pomegranate and coriander leaves.
- Serve immeiately with tea or snacks
Sandwiches are my favourite and I used to have at any time …So I use to try with new combination .. Potato beetroot sandwich makes a great combination with steaming hot cup of tea and coffee. This Potato-beetroot stuffed grill sandwich is crispy and gets ready in minutes. You can also pack them in tiffin for kids with their favourite chutney and sauce. It’s really healthy as well easy to make kids will enjoy it as beetroot give some sweet taste to the sandwich
- Bread – 4 slices
- Potatoes – 3 (medium sized)
- Beetroot -2 (sliced)
- Tomato -2 (sliced)
- Onion – 2 (sliced)
- Chat masala powder – 1 tsp
- Green coriander chutney
- Butter- 2 tbsp (optional)
- Green coriander – 2-3 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Green chilly – 1 (finely chopped)
- Salt – more than ¼ tsp or to taste
- Tamarind chutney
- Boil beetroot until just cooked without making them very soft and slice them
- Take a bowl add grated potato (boiled) ad chilli powder& salt . mix it
- Rinse, peel and slice the onion and tomatoes into thin rounds
- Take all the ingredients(Green coriander, Ginger paste, Green chilly, Tamarind and salt) in a blender and puree till smooth or green chutney
- Apply green chutney and butter to all the bread slices .. Place potato smash and few slices beet root then sprinkle with salt and chaat masala powder.
- Place sliced tomato & onion. Cover with another slice of bread butter and green chutney side down.
- Spread some butter over it.
- Place it over a heated grill butter side down and spread some more butter on other side. Cover and grill till golden
- Remove to a plate and spread some butter on top side. Cut into wedges and serve hot with tomato chutney..
- Note : If u dont have a toaster you can try in tawa too 🙂
Cheese balls makes a great starter. Cheese Corn Balls recipe is a crunchy yet soft-centered deep-fried dish cheese ball is a great tasting dip. A delicious dip which contains cheese ..evryone from kids to elders will sure love this …. They make for a great party appetizer and you will have your guests noting down your recipe for cheese corn balls.
- 1/2 cup Cheese , grated
- 1 Potato (aloo) , boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup Corn Kernels , boiled
- 3 tablespoon Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , finely chopped
- Coriander leaves (Dhania) , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon Dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon Black pepper powder
- 1/8 tablespoon Garlic
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Corn flour
- Salt , to taste
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- Cooking oil , as required for deep frying.
- Rinse potatoes, cut into half and Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.Peel off the skin,and mash it well.Set aside.Pressure cook sweet corn for 5 whistles with little salt and required water.Drain water completely and set aside.
- In a blender, add corn and blend it to a coarse mixture.Do this in batches and collect in a bowl.Add mashed potato,grated cheese,1 tbsp maida,cornflour, chilli flakes, pepper powder,oregano and required salt.
- Mix well to form a thick dough.Shape them into balls and arrange them in a plate.I just made few balls for click sake and reserved the rest for later use.
- Take 2 tbsp maida in a bowl , add little water and make a thick paste.Dip each ball in the maida mixture coat it well.Then dip it in breadcrumb mixture.Roll over to make sure it is coated evenly
- Heat oil, deep fry the balls in oil till golden brown.Fry in batches, I used my small pan so fried just 3-4 balls at a time.Drain in tissue paper. Serve hot immediately with tomato ketchup or green chutney or mayyonaise…..
Murukku sandwich is one of my kids favourite snacks they love to have once they return hungry from school.. Its quite simple to make it at home… Murukku Sandwich is a new sandwich variety getting famous all over Chennai especially in Sowcarpet… Murukku sandwich is same as bread sandwich where murukku is replaced for bread slices.Veggies are cut into small pieces and enclosed between murukkus with some green chutney.
PREPARATION TIME : 10 MINS
20 small store bought murukkus
2 cheese cubes (shredded)
2 tbsp green chutney
Sevpuri for garnishing
Take the murukku and spread the sandwich chutney on one side of murukkus.
Place an onion and cucumber over the green chutney.
Followed by tomato and then finally close it with another murukku
Top the murukku sandwich with some shredded cheese as well garnish with sevpuri
Serve the spicy,crunchy Murukku sandwich for evening snack.
While eating, carefully pull a tower without disturbing the other and load in ur mouth without breaking the setup.
This is a different party snack to surprise ur guests. You can even arrange setup in advance, it won’t become soggy very easily.
Whenever kids come back from school they need some different type of snacks to eat. So I try many new items to fulfill their tummy… Everyone likes corn even my kids too so I tried making corn canapés at home…
Canapés is another of my family’s favorite snack or appetizer. I generally use Brittania crackers for making canapés but this time, I used some store bought canapés base it also worked good…
This is the best appetizer recipe to serve a large group as you can have everything ready in advance and you can assemble them just before serving which hardly takes any time. In fact, preparing the filling in advance allows all the flavors to blend in nicely.
15 store-bought canapés base
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1 onion chopped
1 tomato chopped(seeds removed)
½ capsicum diced
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp chopped green chilies
chopped coriander leaves or cilantro Sev puri for garnishing
¼ tsp chaat masala (optional)
1) Wash and boil the corn for 10 minutes in enough water. Or you can give them a whistle in pressure cooker. Drain it
2) Add all the chopped vegetables and spices in a bowl. Add boiled corn and mix well
3) Taste the corn chaat and adjust the spices according to your taste.
4) If you are using store bought canapés fry/bake them according to directions on their box.
5) Just before serving, apply a layer of cheese spread and a spoon of prepared corn chaat on canapes.
6) Garnish with cheese and several puri.
7) Really delicious, healthy and quick appetizer to serve.